Monday, May 13, 2024

Sportsball May 13

 


Dish below.


all photos mine  and Hello Badgerfan!

I made my first proper pilgrimage to what is, as Brewfan refers to it as, our local baseball cathedral. It used to be named Miller Park which was perfect for Milwaukee. Now it's American Family Park which just annoys me.



I remember going to County Stadium as a kid to watch the Brewers and we would have tailgate parties out of the trunks of people's cars or their truck beds. We would sit on lawn chairs or the tailgates of the trucks, hence the name. We would cook with live charcoal which would be cold and disposed of at the end of the game.



This was nothing like that. There were 75 of us (more on that later) so fitting  together in the parking lot would have been all but impossible. We had a "pavillion", which is a roof with square picnic tables, electric outlets for your crock pots and pot-o-potties nearby. I easily ignore stadium bathrooms of all kinds after watching the drunks at the endless trough at County Stadium as a kid. 

Star Wars!  Nothing but Star wars!

So we go inside late because my partner is talkative and doesn't give a damn about any kind of sports at all. We finally get there and our seats are second deck but we have to go up to 3 or 4 because it was Star Wars night and he had bought the t-shirt. We get to the front pretty quick and then "no, we don't have that, all gone" but he won't  accept that. I wait and wait and wait until finally I said "I'm going to find my seat.



I haven't been to the new cathedral before. The signage in County Stadium was very specific. This time the signage has more to do with advertising. I asked everyone that worked there where I should go. All of it was wrong and most of it required me to walk up and down stairs. I finally find some security guys and ask please, can you help me to my seat? The main guy immediately takes my ticket and holds it. They assume that I'm drunk. I can't possibly be drunk because one of my meds takes up all of the receptors that makes being drunk possible. But no matter. It's now the middle of the game and I don't know where my seat is. He gets to my row and it is full and he demands to know if anyone there knows me. Of course they don't because I'm the plus one. I see a lesbian couple that I'd met earlier in the day but I didn't know if they'd vouch for me because the security guy still held my ticket. I'm looking around and miss the people just to my right because all I see is the back of their heads. I turn completely around and see my partner in the tacky new t-shirt.


damn security guy arm

So I wound up sitting in the back row with the people that I actually knew. The daughter's boyfriend was next to me. He was the one running for the HOT sauce. Security told him to watch me which was completely unnecessary because I finally got to watch the game which was all I ever wanted to do. 




Oh, security hassled me again as I was trying to take a picture of the empty stadium from where I sat. He got his arm in one shot. So I had to take another.




It was a good game. The Brewers had the lead when I finally got seated. They lost it and got it back in the eighth and then knocked the Cards out at the top of the ninth.








Puppy Uppers


Discussion welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment