Thursday, April 13, 2023

Politics Corner April 13th

 

photo mine

I got T-boned again tonight. This time I think it was my fault. I was distracted looking for potholes because we've paid for two very expensive tire replacements already. Those of you who live in places where the temperature remains relatively consistent don't have to invest as much in roads and have few potholes. Here's the stupid version (still true!) because I can't give you the smart one. The radical changes of pressure is too much for the blacktop so "bubbles" build up and then collapse. Concrete is  better but more expensive. The gerrymandered Wisconsin legislature not only keeps cutting funding for Milwaukee infrastructure (and schools, etc.) but they've placed limits on the City of Milwaukee's ability to raise taxes. I was running a gauntlet of potholes and was approaching a light that was always green if I passed the one before it. This time is must not have been. No injuries. No tickets. Damage done.


photo mine



Florida Men: A six week abortion ban has passed the Florida legislature and of course DeSantis will sign it into law. Six weeks is a ridiculous time limit. First of all there are many women with irregular cycles so six weeks could mean nothing. More importantly, to abort is a serious decision. Women deserve time to make up their own minds. [NBC]


via NBC

The Justice Department is asking the Supreme Court to restore access to Mifepristone. I'm cautiously pretending to hold my breath. I expect bad news. I also expect that we'll get a nation wide turnout of young voters like we did in Wisconsin's past election. I'll take the delayed win. [NPR]


via NPR

If you thought we were done with Harlan Crow and Clarence Thomas you were wrong. Crow bought Thomas' mother's house (likely above market) and bought enough property around it to change the economics of the neighborhood. Thomas was an owner of the house and was legally required to declare his ownership and the sale of the house. Of course he didn't.

Remedies for this could include some kind of punishment from the Supreme Court and that is not going to happen. Otherwise the Senate might be able to get involved. Not in my lifetime. [ProPublica]


via ProPublica

Political discussion welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment