Friday, January 20, 2023

Politics Corner January 20th

 

Via Visit Milwaukee 

Botswana was more than I could have hoped for. The friendliest people at the top of the list. We passed a primary school twice a day and I don't think I've ever seen such happy children and this is kind of strange because some of them have to walk as much as an hour to be there. The rich kids take taxis but the rest walk. It's the most positive reminder of white privilege that I've experienced.


I highly recommend the Bekwana Lodge. It is located inside the Chobe (River) National Park. Like my partner said, it was like visiting friends. I didn't even notice that our cabin didn't have a television until the last day because it never occurred to me to turn one on. I didn't even plug in my computer. Why would I when I could watch the spotted deer or warthogs off of my porch?


It's a different feel here in Zimbabwe where there are many more tourists. The hotel that I'm in is over-the-top British Colonial (although only two years old.) I'm about to go meet elephants and see rhinos and eventually Victoria Falls itself. So far Zimbabwe feels like it has never quite shaken off colonialism. Robert Mgabe was hailed as a hero for throwing off British rule and then became a despot. Now things have turned around to the point where the US dollar is the unofficial currency because the local one has been devalued so many times that it is essentially worthless and you can't tell from day to day exactly how worthless it is. But the people are industrious and friendly. This is their world and I'm trying to fit in it.



Via Tenor


Political discussion welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment