Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Politics Corner August 2nd

  

Via Visit Milwaukee


My partner climbed this mountain today. I wisely walked around it. I had more fun and got the better tour. It was also unguided so I got to discover things on my own. It was the last segment of a ten hour tour and I'd gotten a good grasp on Incan culture (and the Spaniards they hate) from earlier in the day and from what I had thought then was an epic three hour tour of Cusco. Tomorrow I get a day long trek with hours in the middle hiking around Machu Piccu which is mercifully at around the 9.000 feet elevation at which I'm at now before I return to another overnight in what is probably the second highest city in the world at 11 or 12,000 feet. I'll be back at a really nice hotel (inside an old convent) but I'll barely have time to sleep before dropping back to sea level at Guayaquil. There will still be long walking tours but they'll be relatively flat and at a lower altitude at which I live.

Needless to say, I'm going to need someone else to analyze all the elections today. Y'all do it better anyway.

Oh, everything you've heard about guinea pigs is true. Guinea pig on a stick is street food. Restaurants serve them in all sorts of ways. The giant cathedral in Cusco (capital of the Incan Empire, naval of the world) is full of contradictory imagery between the enforced Catholicism and the native slave labor never forgetting that they were building a desecration of top of an Incan temple. My favorite? A giant "Last Supper" painting featuring potatoes and corn and other things unknown in Spain. Smack dab in the middle on a platter in front of Jesus is a roasted guinea pig. But that's not even the best part: Judas is a portrait of hated Spaniard Francisco Pizarro.


photo mine


Political discussion welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment