Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Thoughts on Trouble in Mind

 

via IMDB

"Well, I'll say this for you: when you decide to be a jerk, you really do it well."


If there's two things I'm a sucker for, it's idiosyncratic movies and ones where love comes as the result of a journey. Imagine how pleased I was that I got both with Trouble in Mind, written and directed by Alan Rudolph. Watching Hawk (Kris Kristofferson), former convict and policeman, begin anew while Georgia (Lori Singer) and Coop (Keith Carradine) make a go at life in the city and seen-it-all-before Wanda (Geneviève Bujold) observes it all unfold, I found a third element of joy. Nobody would think these weren't movie characters, but they also go about their business in a fascinatingly real way.

The story is familiar but engaging. Hawk's adjusting to his new freedom, unable to turn back the clock professionally or personally. Eventually, he refocuses on Georgia, who can't cope with Coop's new work as a criminal. It includes long hours with Solo (Joe Morton), drugs and sex, encounters with the menacing Hilly Blue (Divine) and time for makeovers. At one point, Georgia's despair is so deep that she abandons her and Coop's infant son, Spike. As with Hawk sexually coercing Wanda, the point of no return is crossed. In Georgia's case -- and maybe with Hawk and Wanda, too -- the steps are retraced and a new path is taken. Hawk gets Spike back ("Now?" "Now." "Now.") and keeps courting Georgia.

I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to Coop and Solo's escapades, and I don't think I was supposed to. The point seemed to be that they were biting off more than they could chew and ended up getting Hilly and Nate Nathanson (John Considine) entangled. Inevitably, Hawk gets involved. Not only does Hawk do so to clear up things for himself and Georgia, but Hilly was courting him, in a sense. Considine and Dirk Blocker (as Rambo, Hilly's second in command) get some good moments in -- although eww! to the Chinese dinner sneeze -- but it's Divine who conquers. The performance is as stylized as the lines.

"You know, not long ago, I thought about committing suicide again. From time to time, it gets to me. But then I think about how I didn't kill myself the other times. So I'll go to sleep for several days. When I wake up, I'm famished. A sure sign of good health. And good health is essential, isn't it John? ... John? ... C'mon down here. ... You must always pay attention when I speak. Especially when I am discussing health and death."

Of the central four, Kristofferson and Singer impressed me the most. I didn't expect to be so wowed by Georgia, so guileless but also so human. Kristofferson's balancing act, his and Rudolph's ability to see that there's only a slight separation between the two sides of an antihero, is commendable. Coop isn't as gray a character as Hawk, which is okay. I found myself taking Coop for granted, which meant I was caught off guard as things progressed and Carradine reminded me what he's capable of. As for Bujold, why she's a good ol', bad-but-not-evil, wise but maybe quietly reconsidering gal in the old tradition. 

I don't have a whole lot more to say about Trouble In Mind. I might never have seen it had I not made an effort to see as many movies from 1985 that were nominated for awards. Like many of the year's best, it exists as not only an enjoyable flick, but a genuine work of art.

"We never lived in the city. I always wanted to, though. 'Cause I always thought that everything was just gonna work out perfect in the city. ... I guess it's never as good as you thought it's gonna be."
"Or as bad as they say."

Recommended.

Thoughts:
-- "Well, you gotta be nice to your friends, Wanda. Without 'em, you're a total stranger."
-- Box Office: This grossed $19.6 thousand on a $3 million budget.
-- Critic's Corner: "In Trouble in Mind, style is substance, so appearances are of the utmost importance," Nathan Rabin wrote in 2010.
-- Awards Watch: Toyomichi Kurita's cinematography won an Independent Spirit Award, over the likes of Blood Simple and After Hours. Singer was nominated for Best Actress, losing to Geraldine Page.
-- "Tell your friend I said thanks." "What for?" "*shrugs*"
-- Memorable Music: The score is 65-52, with one point for a non-original piece ("Trouble in Mind") and one for an original piece ("El Galivan"). Both are sung by Marianne Faithful and the latter was written by Kristofferson.
-- Hey, It's 1985!: A poster for Blood Simple can be seen among some of the outside clutter.
-- "My darling, I am a dead man. ... Everything will be yours now. ... The homes, the servants, the yachts." "(I'm not entirely sure this is what she's squealing, but) The yachts?"
-- Next: A Chorus Line and Chicago. On deck: My Best and Worst Awards. Remember, if you want to play along, you can fill out your ballots for Best and Worst Movie, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Director and Screenplay, as well as Best Ensemble and Best Song. I'm planning on limiting most categories to five, with a bonus five for the best and 10 nominees for ensemble and song.

No comments:

Post a Comment