Sunday, August 30, 2020

Totally Tunes: I Don't Complain When My Private Jet Is Sub-par

Not everyone gets to be famous, which is okay, especially after you read some celebrity stories and you're like "man, and here I was, complaining about doing a 2 hour line at Wal-Mart". But we can't also deny that it has its perks. Musicians happen to be, in most cases, famous in their own right, and love sharing their experiences and/or making fun of the whole fame angle. Today we'll look at some musical instances of fame, fortune, and celebrity status.

I'm ready for my close-up! via Pexels

As is tradition, I'll open with the song I'm making a reference to in the article title. In this case it's pretty much a parody, the staple of the magnificent comedy Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, where our lead character humbly talks about himself and his celebrity status.

Let's continue the vibe with this absolutely silly, tremendously Eurotrash tune that's pretty much like "I'm So Humble" but ramped up to eleven and with the subtlety of a vuvuzela. And yes, I love this song.

Speaking of subtlety, I feel I shouldn't leave behind this Nickelback song (yes, you heard that right, Nickelback is gracing this feature for the first and most likely last time) about the perks of being a rockstar but, of course, it's not even remotely funny nor clever, as is to be expected from Nickelback.


Because I enjoy being a total bummer sometimes, here's this depressing (but really good) song about the downside of fame and the whole exploitative side of celebrity culture. Whee!

Do you know what's also a downside of fame? The annoying stans! Fans all over you, and the press, and blargh blargh blargh. This bop makes a semi-sarcastic point about the whole "all over you" angle.

And, of course, we close with BOWIE, as it's become kinda customary on this feature whenever it's available. Did you know John Lennon helped write this song?

So, what's your favorite song about fame, fortune, and celebrities? Are you glad I didn't embed any song by Paris Hilton/Kelly Osbourne?

No comments:

Post a Comment