Sunday, August 30, 2020

Thoughts on Crossover Dreams

via filmfanatic.org

"Hello, my name is Rudy Veloz and I would like to tell you a little bit about myself, so you know where I'm coming from. I'm, you know, you would say I'm a Puerto Rican musician. I've been playing the salsa circuit for almost 10 years, professionally. And I really feel that I could crossover into something that is ... I mean, I got this music that I know could go a little further. I think it's just as good or better as most of the shit that you hear today. ... No. No, that's no good. Shouldn't say that."
*Rudy (Rubén Blades) has been practicing a pitch in front of his mirror*
"My name is Rudy Veloz and I have this music that is going to blow you away."

If life was fair, talent would be the only thing determining if a performer got to be successful. In reality, any or all of countless little decisions can go wrong. Crossover Dreams, directed by Leon Ichaso from a script he co-wrote with Blades and Manuel Arce from a story by Ichaso, Arce and Kenny Vance, doesn't win any points from me for originality. I also wish the movie didn't seem so rushed, although I'll concede it's probably because it's less than 90 minutes. Still, when Dreams is at its best, the experience is compelling.

Rudy, tired of playing gigs where he's paid with money kept against his agent's crotch*, wants to go mainstream. After a failed attempt with Lou Rose (Tom Signorelli), who's more involved with drugs than music, as well as the death of his mentor, Cheo Babalu (Virgilio Marti), things seem to be looking up for Rudy when he clicks with producer Neil Silver (Joel Diamond). In record time, Rudy alienates his agent, longtime girlfriend Liz (Elizabeth Peña) and fellow musician Orlando (Shawn Elliott).
*The $400 for two gigs performed by an eight-member band, minus expenses, breaks down to $40 a guy. Ray (Frank Robles) offers two joints and some cocaine as a fringe benefit.

Featuring a score by Mauricio Smith**, Dreams has flashes of dramatic brilliance. There's moments like Rudy's cathartic rooftop singing after Cheo's funeral, or the juxtaposition of his bullshitting about relationships with Silver as he and Liz are about to breakup. I mentioned before that I miss Peña, who brought an impressive rawness to her stock character. "Rudy, I hope you make it. I hope you make it really big. Because you know what? You're gonna find out nobody, nobody is ever gonna love you the way I love you."
**An inaugural member of the SNL band; Lou Marini cameos as the musician who replaces Orlando.

In what is either the best or most cruelest idea Ichaso, et. al could have come up with, Rudy isn't even successful. How's this for storytelling economy? A 42 second montage takes us from the pre-release party to headlines saying the album's sales are disappointing, it's a flop and Rudy's been dropped by his label to the album being sold for $1.99. Resigned to the fact that "people like me don't get another chance," Rudy spends the next half-hour lying to the people he pissed off about a supposed West Coast tour and mulling Rose's offer of a lucrative Colombia-Miami trip.

Next month, I turn 32. I've come to terms with the fact I didn't achieve my childhood wish of becoming a big famous star. That doesn't mean that if the opportunity came now or later, I wouldn't take it. I'm just cool with not having had it all so soon. Dreams appears to take a similar "integrity is best" attitude. Who knows, maybe Rudy (and Orlando) will get another chance after all?

"All joking aside, you never really know. Mr. Veloz could become our next big superstar."

Recommended with reservations.

Thoughts:
-- "Orlando, I'm scared, okay? I've seen the future in that church. It looks like shit."
-- Box Office: I couldn't find a gross. According to Rotten Tomatoes, the movie was made for $600,000.
-- Critic's Corner: "Sagely funny ... both heartfelt and sophisticated," Vincent Canby wrote. "The story is formula, but the film's treatment of it is fresh and perceptive, and there's an exhilarating high energy level," according to Roger Ebert. Carolina Gonzalez, writing for Sound Taste in 2008, noted that while she likes Dreams, it overstated the difference between "Latin" and "American" music, as well as uptown and downtown, and didn't accurately capture the then-contemporary scene in New York. 
-- Critic's Corner, Blades: He earned high praise. "Engaging," Ebert wrote. Canby: "a fine new film personality, a musical performer who's also a screen natural, the kind of actor whose presence and intelligence register without apparent effort."
-- Awards Watch: Blades was nominated for an Independent Spirit Award for Best Male Lead. He lost to M. Emmet Walsh for Blood Simple.
-- Speaking of uptown and downtown, Rudy is mentioned as having performed at Danceteria. I hadn't expected the venue would figure in any other 1985 movie besides Desperately Seeking Susan.
-- Different Times: Ray attempts to sell a couch by telling the customer, "plastic is forever." Later, he gives Rudy money for ride downtown. "If it's more than $4, get out of the cab." Ichaso cuts to Rudy on the subway.
-- Memorable Music: The score is 40-31, still favoring songs written for movies. Dreams had two entries, the would-be hit "Good For Baby" and the standard "Todos Vuelven (Everybody Returns)."
-- Hey, It's ...!: Deborra-Lee Furness. Mrs. Jackman plays the model dressed as the Statue of Liberty on Rudy's album cover.
-- "*Liz's "imbecile" dentist husband is annoying Rudy, who's visiting* Excuse me, excuse me. I just want to say this: I think you two made a great couple probably at one time. I can see that. I can see you made a great couple. I just want to say that."
-- Next Weekend: Creator. On deck: Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters. Coming Soon: Kiss of the Spider Woman, Ran, Agnes of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment