Thursday, September 5, 2019

Table Talk: What’s something you tried to reverse engineer from a travel food show?


Welcome to this week’s food thread. All discussions on food and cooking are welcome.

Between Anthony Bourdain and Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives to just name the most prolific, I’ve watched my share of travel shows focused on food. While they occasionally make recipes available, most times you’re left to pick up tips and tricks that can help you with things you already know how to make.





Occasionally though, you hit on an idea that looks good and instead of trying to hunt down a similar recipe you just kind of go for it, and wing it to see how things turn out.

Over the weekend I tried replicating a chicken shawarma recipe I saw on Triple D. I obviously don’t have a stand up spit to do it right, so I tried to replicate it on kebabs on my homemade kebab grill. I marinated chicken thighs in a mixture of tomato paste, white vinegar, sumac, salt, pepper, crushed red peppers, coriander seed, and cumin.

I think I used too much tomato paste, but it was a good first effort that can be improved upon. Will probably look up a recipe next time, but it was a good exercise in eyeballing.

Ever try to reverse engineer anything? What else is going on in your world as it relates to food?

No comments:

Post a Comment