Friday, June 30, 2023

Politics Corner June 30th

 


photo mine

Oh I'm not even going to bother with anything else today. If you don't know already, the US Supreme Court put the cherry on top today. After closing off opportunities for minorities yesterday, today they released two other regressive decisions.

The one that probably affects the most people is their decision that Biden did not have the power to cancel student loan payments and have the government take them on because, you know, we all had to stay inside for two years, couldn't finish school, let alone find a job. This power is laid out clearly in law but the conservatives on the court don't care about law.

After they destroyed affirmative action it was clear that they were going to follow the recent pattern of issuing one decent decision (no legislative gerrymandering) and then follow that with deplorable decisions before they go into hibernation. Their other decision released today is more personal for me but also even more extra-legal. The plaintiff had no standing to file a case in the first place and had been turned back at every step but the conservative Supremes really, really wanted to push "Christianity" and shove LGBTQetc. people down.

Please forgive me if I step out of bounds here. I know that people of color's rights are under attack right now and while similar, the struggle isn't quite the same. I get a taste of both in an interracial relationship (even if the racial part is second hand - because he is my second hand). But this had been settled with the stupid cake. There was no reason for the Court to take this up except to smack LGBTQetc. people down. This is the lunch counter. This is the back of the bus. I know that's hyperbole and I know that in the real world LGBTQetc. people - with the huge exception of anyone with gender issues - have leap frogged over people of color and even women as far as civil rights go. I also know I'm going to lose the internet but I don't give a damn. This is how the Nazis started. Racial purity. Sexual purity. Anti-intellectual. Brace yourselves.

Oh, and happy end of Pride Month.


via Sud Ouest

Political discussion welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment