Thursday, June 9, 2022

Thoughts on The Opposite of Sex

 

via Giphy/Courtesy Sony

"If you think I'm just plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in over your heads. I don't have a heart of gold and I don't grow one later, okay? But relax. There's other people a lot nicer coming up. We call them 'losers.'"


The Opposite of Sex, written and directed by Don Roos, is a unique one. The dialogue often reminded me of why I loathe self-consciously edgy '90s comedy. A lot of the lines are well-structured, yes, but as I frequently say, performance trumps composition. The kudos go to Christina Ricci, Martin Donovan, Lisa Kudrow, etc. before Roos. I will say that Opposite has a genuinely well-written story which Roos deserves credit for. My attutide puts me ahead of several critics in 1998. Owen Gleiberman felt the movie was another example of "smug, coyly blashpemous, aren't-we-dysfunctional family-disaster chic." The comedy comes from, among other things, sexual immaturity, homophobia, himbos, guys born with one testicle, ladies who need to be told "He's just not into you" and guys who respond to drama by getting boners. Despite all of this, I think Roos ultimately avoided condescending to his leads. Their faults, their wounds and yes, their hearts are bared.

"(Dedee) is evil, but she is our evil: She's what we have created of our children, formed by broken marriages, child abuse, political cynicism, ineffective education, no hope and a sex-obsessed, violence-worshipping entertainment industry. The pain she brings to us us the pain we gave her as her birthright: we created her. We deserve her."
-- Stephen Hunter, Washington Post

Most praise associated with Opposite went to its female stars. "(She's) growing up to be one of America's most consistently interesting acresses," Kristine McKenna, Los Angeles Times, wrote about Ricci. Kudrow was "a hardshell revelation" according to Peter Travers. Every interaction between Dedee (Ricci) and Lucia (Kudrow) is a standout. McKenna again: "They're both so defended against life that they're barely able to live it." When Lucia does let her guard down, it can be misguided. I'm thinking Lucia worrying about if she drooled while sleeping in close proximity to Dedee's half-brother Bill (Martin Donovan), Lucia's fellow teacher-pseudo-brother-in-law (his partner, Lucia's brother, died of AIDS) and object of unrequited, often ungraceful affection. Dedee's conquests, meanwhile, include one-balled Randy (William Lee Scott) and Matt (Ivan Sergei), Bill's boyfriend who she bullied into having sex with her. Lucia and Bill, Dedee claims, actually have fun observing and feeling superior in response to her decadence.

"Listen to me, you little grunge f****t. I survived my family, my schoolyard, every Republican, every other Democrat, Anita Bryant, the Pope, the fucking Christian Coalition, not to mention a real son of a bitch of a virus, in case you haven't noticed. In all that time since Paul Lynde and Truman Capote were the only fairies in America, I've been busting my ass so that you'd be able to do what you wanted with yours! So I don't just want your obedience right now -- which I do want, and plenty of it -- but I want your fucking gratitude, right fucking now, or you're going to be looking down a long road at your nipple in the dirt! Do you hear what I'm saying?"

Several elements of Opposite are still timely, which isn't a ringing endorsement for modern society. Seeking revenge after supposed father-to-be Matt flees to California with Dedee, Jason (Johnny Galecki), Matt's once-and-future-fling claims to have been molested as a schoolboy by Bill. I girded my loins, preparing to hear the word "groomed." Then again, Jason's pretty dumb. He likely wouldn't know what that means. Late in the movie, Lucia laments having not flunked Jason when she had the chance. Matt, to his credit, is at least a little smarter than Jason and Randy. I smirked at Matt responding immediately when Lucia brings up the idea of Dedee having an abortion and later, when he doesn't utilize an obvious escape from life with Dedee. Unlike Randy, Matt also doesn't seem like he would assault a pregnant woman. What an interesting, unsettling moment that fight scene is. Yes, we've waited for Dedee to get some punishment, but not like that.

"... Bill, you think too much. I mean, you wanted me, I was fine with that. I was flattered. I was stupid enough to have taken it personally. You know, but it wasn't enough for you. You had to go and take it to the next level, make it mental or spiritual or something, like some kind of fucking promotion."
"So there's nothing more to you than your body."
"What the fuck do I know? I'm just saying that if you're saying that you love me for my mind, hey! I know that's not my best feature ... right? So where does that leave me? Not only does my lover have a fool for a boyfriend, so do I."
"You're not a fool."
"You know what I'm not? Tom."
*The insight registers with both Bill and a hidden Lucia*

This scene was what made me realize that I did like Opposite. I mean, I was always going to be impressed with the acting and the plot construction, but I didn't know if I would see the movie as anything other than a star-driven prolonged bit about misanthropy. Until it happened, I didn't realize that we needed and were building to Matt telling Bill to move on, to stop acting like life includes crowns for the most gracious. Lucia made similar comments, but would anybody willingly take advice from her? Lucia, whose hookup with Sheriff Carl (Lyle Lovett) is both mocked (Dedee laughs about Lucia being the type to talk during sex) and seen as a victory (Carl's the right guy because he can give Lucia the intimacy she needs), also needed to hear Matt's home truth. Any movie that can stop for a moral, and a non-preachy one at that, can't be all bad.

"I'm sorry that he died. But I'm sure that wherever he is, he doesn't care that we screwed around. And he doesn't feel better because you moved me in, but you told everyone it was more than sex. You know he died, that really sucks, Bill. But you don't get to make it better by being this really great guy who only likes the insides of people. ... He was robbed. So were you."
*Bill and Lucia are having belated catharsis*
"Even Lucia, who I could care less about."
"'Couldn't care less.' ... Sorry."
*Matt eventually gets up and gives Bill a goodnight and goodbye kiss*
"You look kind of cute, all stupid like."
"(Dedee's narration) Can I just say to all the girls out there, if you're with a guy who groaned or made some crack during that little kiss, you're with what we call a 'closet case.' That's the number one tip-off. Number two is if they freak out about gays in the military. You know, if they can't discuss it without giggling about showering with guys and bending over for soap and stuff? That's not good. Real straight guys don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about wet naked men, if you ask me."

Recommended with reservations.

Thoughts:
-- "If I save one kid from getting (BLEEP-BLEEP), from having his (BLEEP) totally (BLEEP) until it looks like the Lincoln Tunnel and he can't stand up for three weeks, then maybe all of this is worth something. ..."
-- Box Office: Grossing nearly $5.9 million on a $5 million budget, this received a limited release and thus was never in the top 10. It ranked No. 151 for 1998.
-- Awards Watch: This received Independent Spirit Awards for Best First Feature and Best Screenplay, plus nominations for Christina and Lisa, who lost to Ally Sheedy in High Art and Lynn Redgrave in Gods and Monsters, respectively. Gods and Monsters also beat Opposite for a GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Wide Release. The screenplay was nominated for a Writers Guild of America Award, but lost to Shakespeare in Love. The same happened at the Golden Globes, where Christina lost Best Actress -- Musical or Comedy to Gwyneth Paltrow. Christina and Lisa both struck out at the American Comedy Awards, losing to Cameron Diaz for There's Something About Mary and Kathy Bates for Primary Colors, respectively. Finally, Lisa lost the Teen Choice Award for Choice Hissy Fit to Sandra Bullock in Forces of Nature.
-- Critic's Corner, the movie: "Essentially generous ... (it shows) how little sense there is in stereotypes, and how varied and surprising love can be," Janet Maslin wrote. "It's a teriffic movie," Hunter wrote. Michael O'Sullivan, Hunter's colleague, hated this movie a lot. "It will leave you feeling used, bruised, violated, mistrustful and unclean," he wrote. "Unfocused, unsublte and unfunny ... if only the laughs were at the expense of hypocrites and liars and not everyone in the film with a shred of decency," O'Sullivan continued. Gleiberman: "(Roos) spreads attitude like margarine ... (every actor is) straitjacketed in his generic bitchery."
-- Critic's Corner, Christina and Lisa: "She's the kind of actress who makes an audience sit up and take notice, because she lets us know she's capable of breaking a movie wide open," Roger Ebert wrote about Christina. While McKenna liked Ricci, she neverless declared "it's Kudrow who walks away with the picture." Todd McCarthy, Variety, called Lisa's work "devastatingly sly ... displaying a flair for deadpan comedy and timing that bodes well for further changes of pace." Travers liked Christina best: "This babe is the bomb. Dedee may smart-mouth herself into oblivion, but Ricci is headed for a stunning future."
-- Hey, It's ...!: Colin Ferguson, Dan Bucatinsky, Chauncey Leopardi and Leslie Grossman.
-- How is R.J. not a victim of fetal alcohol syndrome, Dede's smoking and her lack of prenatal care?
-- Assuming that IMDB is correct, Alicia Silverstone was the original choice for Dedee. Some of the lines in Dedee's narration sound like snarky outtakes from Clueless. Alas, Opposite was made during the time when Alicia's weight received too much attention. One hopes Opposite's powers that be didn't feel the same. On a happier (?) note, years later, Christina made her Broadway debut replacing Alicia in Time Stands Still.
-- Hey, It's 1998!: When the press is trying to figure out the extent of Lucia and William's relationship and her own sexuality, she's asked "Do you watch Ellen?!"
-- "(Lucia recognizes a reporter) Jennifer? Jennifer Oakes, is that you?" "Hi, Miss Dalury. (Switches to professional voice) Any comment on the charges against William Truitt?" "... And I wrote you a letter of recommendation."
-- Next: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. On deck: Godzilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment