Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Occasional cooks: tartiflette

Here is your weekly thread to talk anything and everything food. 

Share what you're cooking this week, ask for tips or recipes for a dish, tell us about your meals out.

Via my sister-in-law

My sister-in-law in Germany shared the above picture, from what she called the first night of Cheezuz 2021, and I had to know more.

This is a tartiflette, a recipe that, though it looks like one of those hearty mid-winter in the chalet mountain folk dishes that make up most Alpine cuisine, is actually quite modern - created by the cheesemakers of Reblochon - it uses a whole wheel of the cheese, split and melted into the top. 

Via New England Cheesemaking Supplies

It's basically a gussied-up potato gratin, with onions and bacon added, and then the Reblochon.

Reblochon is a non-pasteurised cheese; not available in Australia and I'm guessing not in the US either. It's a mild, washed-rind cheese - you can use a brie or camembert instead.

This looks divine, but not really a summer dish, so someone give it a try and report in for me.

What are people doing with their Christmas leftovers (I ate all the leftovers on the day after - I felt the need to spring-clean my fridge, starting with eating all the food)?



No comments:

Post a Comment