Sunday, September 26, 2021

Totally Tunes: Let's Get on the Millionaires' Payroll

 You know how we once did a whole article about money-related songs? Well, I gave it a good thought, and what I noticed is that these songs rarely talk about one specific person. It's like "oh I want to be a millionaireeee" but it's never "well, you particular rich fuck, go eat shit" or a top class ass kissing. But there ARE songs written for millionaires, surprisingly (as I did the research, obviously, ain't pulling it out of my butt) and here are some of 'em.

I spent 15 minutes searching for a "fuck capitalism" pic, couldn't find any, and then I search "rich guy" and this comes up. Pexels logic.

Let's begin with one of my most favorite new songs, an ode to that smiley box entrepeneur that looks like an axolotl who asked a fairy to become human. It, and its sequel, are obviously a parody, especially coming on a Netflix special instead of a Prime one.

Woody Guthrie went full on in this historical diss track on Charles Lindbergh, in a remarkable case of musical "but tell me how you really feel".

Leave it to a millionaire to sing about another millionaire in a dainty tone, inspired by a mansion's purchase. Y'all thought I was going to choose all "eat the rich" kinda tunes? Nah, I can always go pander to the Swifties and rake in all those page views... while exemplifying why should we eat the rich.

The late Mac Miller did this ode to a certain former president-cum-supposed billionaire ten years ago, only to have Trump himself first praise Mac, and then sue him for royalties. All the appreciation got worn down real quick, and shorty afterwards the musician was talking shit about the guy just like everyone else.

And just because I want to close with a song full of swearing, remember when privilege wanted to tell musicians to please use less harsh words on their tunes? It's always a hoot to see how the inverse happens:

What's your favorite song about a millionaire? If you could write a tune about a rich person, who would you choose and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment