Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Occasional cooks: sweetcorn cakes with maple syrup and bacon

Here is your weekly thread to talk anything and everything food. 

Share your cooking this week, ask for tips or recipes for a dish, tell us about your meals out.

Via goodfood.com.au

Near my old flat, before I moved four years ago, there was one good café in the area. One of their breakfasts was corn fritters with poached eggs and a salad of cauliflower. The fritters were little golf-bowl sized bites of goodness, the poached eggs were perfect. The salad was fresh - the cauliflower was raw and sliced super fine, the dressing was a green mango salsa - and cut through the heaviness of the eggs and fritters. 

I honestly dream about that meal and think about jumping on a train to head out there again one weekend, except I don't want to get up that early in the morning, and it's probably not on their menu anymore.

I've seen similar-sounding breakfasts at other cafes, but their corn fritters turn out to be stodgy hockey pucks, and they're not trying anything as interesting as that salad.

When I saw this recipe on the home page of my best recipe-sourcing website, with its little corn fritters and the fresh coriander and lime, I was instantly transported back to that perfect meal. It's not quite the same, but I could get it there. I'd need to work on poaching eggs, though, haven't tried that in years.

The recipe is from Neil Perry, who, in addition to his restaurants, is in charge of the food for Qantas, and these are from the first class lounge. I honestly don't know if that's a selling point or not. Do they cook the food fresh in the first class lounge, or is it buffet-style, in which case, these are intended to survive in a bain-maire?

If you're keen on a fritter, I've made these haloumi and zucchini fritters before with great success. No surprise, as haloumi does make everything better.



No comments:

Post a Comment