Sunday, January 10, 2021

Totally Tunes: To the Missus and the Messers

 Greetings, fellow humans! No, scratch that, sounds too impersonal and alien-y. How should I greet you? There's so many ways to call people without actually saying their names. The most formal way, and one that's also used sometimes in informal slang, is Ms./Mrs./Mr. though I'm not sure if there's a gender inclusive version of those (if there is, I'd love to know, drop a note in the comments!!!). Anyways, music enjoys using those three options in song, whether it is to refer to others, or even to themselves. Here are some examples of that.

There weren't many creative photos on the subject. Via Pexels

In this occasion I won't be able to headline with the song that gave this article its subtitle as I only took a line in one of the song's many verses, but why not start with one of the most iconic tunes about a certain Mrs.?

 On the subject of iconic tunes...

There's also a particular song from a musical some of y'all Pop Culturers enjoy that I really love, about a man's struggle on being invisible to the world:

Speaking of songs I love, I can't let this lovely love story out of this article. It has multiple instances of Misters and Misses, not just the titular one! Hooray!

Flashback to the mid naughts with this silly tune that was everywhere and, of course, pops up on my Discover Weekly Spotify playlist once every few weeks. Yeah, Spotify, you got it, I like trashy British alternative rock, good for you, algorithm.

Let's close with yet another flashback, this one focused also on the mid naughts, but on the very emo music wave, complete with bizarre amounts of eyeliner and weird lyrics. I honestly can't have this pop up on my library and not feel 15 again.

What are your favorite songs about Missus and Messers? To what Mr./Mrs./Ms. of your life would you write a song about?

No comments:

Post a Comment