Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Occasional Cook: biscuits and cookies

 Here is your weekly thread to talk anything and everything food. 

Share your cooking this week, ask for tips or recipes for a dish, tell us about your meals out.

biscuits with pistachios and almonds amongst Christmas ornaments
Via goodfood.com.au

I know calling these biscuits is confusing to the vast majority of the posters here, but damn it, I just can't bring myself to self-edit that to cookies...

I was looking for a biscuit recipe to send to a friend in a combined Christmas/birthday/thinking of you package, and have decided on these pistachio almond butter biscuits. I was sold when the recipe said "These crisp biscuits taste far more buttery than they are, thanks to a cheeky wallop of skimmed milk powder in the dough".

This recipe calls for golden syrup, which I believe is 'light treacle' in the US. Amazingly, this is not even the same thing in the UK, where golden syrup is something you put on toast. Our golden syrup is far too heavy for that and is purely for cooking. 

Another favourite recipe that I've shared before is for these date and ginger chocolate chip biscuits, which really are insanely good. Every time I've made them, I've had people contact me for the recipe. If you make them according to the size in the recipe, they make large cookies, good as a snack. I prefer to make them slightly smaller and reduce the cooking time a little, and then they are great for sharing at an event or putting into a tin as a gift.

Anzacs are the gold standard of Australian biscuits, and really are great, but I can't talk about them until the appropriate time of year.

What are your tried-and-true biscuit cookie recipes?

I want to try Souse's drop cookie recipe, but I didn't save it at the time, so please, can you share it again?

No comments:

Post a Comment