Sunday, December 20, 2020

Totally Tunes: Don't Let the Bells End

 Christmas! It's Christmas this coming week, and you know it, because all the malls and stores and radios and commercials are playing the same songs over and over again and it's a mistletoe'd hellscape you can't outrun since the end of Thanksgiving. So we're doing the same here, because I enjoy torturing y'all. But don't worry, as you can imagine our selections here are not going to be the traditional ones, so rest easy.

It took me forever to find a cute photo, Pexels, SHAME

As it's know 'round these areas, the song referenced in the title is the first one to go. In this case, it's a The Darkness tune about Christmas that, in typical Darkness fashion, it comes with a crass pun. You see, "the bells end" sounds like "bellend". Get it? Always a classy band, love 'em.

The Killers once did a new Christmas-themed song every year, and they were all pretty swell. They don't do that anymore, and it's sad, their Christmas originals/covers are some of my favorite tunes of theirs.

I have put this strange collaboration in another Totally Tunes, but there's no rule that prevents me from re-mentioning a tune, right? But you know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna put a different version of the track, with another guest female voice. I can have my cake and eat it too!

What about the great, one and only, James Dean Bradfield doing a classic Wham! Christmas song cover? His version is so wonderful, that he keeps being asked to perform it in various shows. This video is from his iconic 1996 performance, so iconic it even made it to a Manics album.

Let's close with some Eurotrash. I like Eurotrash. 

What's your favorite Christmas song? And what about your most hated one?

No comments:

Post a Comment