Saturday, September 5, 2020

Thoughts on Creator

via IMDB

"I tell you Sid that one of these days we'll look into our microscope and find ourselves staring right into God's eyes, and the first one who blinks is going to lose his testicles."


Creator, starring Peter O'Toole as a reverent but free-spirited professor, is escapism of the highest order. Liable to fall apart under any scrutiny, the movie depends on one's belief in friendship and romance. It's an unashamed heart-tugger and the laughs, when they come, are genuine. Creator is also worth seeing for the opportunity to watch O'Toole play (sometimes all at once) Dear Abby, Henry Higgins and Dr. Frankenstein.

Dr. Harry Wolper (O'Toole), a widower, has spent decades seeking to create a clone of his late wife, Lucy (Karen Kopins). Wolper befriends his assistant, Boris Lafkin (Vincent Spano), who's adorkable (not to mention sexy ... see below) and in love with fellow student Barbara Spencer (Virginia Madsen). In need of an egg to carry Lucy's cells, Wolper gets involved with the uninhibited Meli (Mariel Hemingway), who naturally falls for him. If love's complications and playing God weren't enough, there's also Wolper's meddlesome rival, Dr. Kullenbeck (David Ogden Stiers) and Barbara's failing health.

Screenwriter Jeremy Leven adapted his novel Creator into a movie. Like Compromising Positions, some of the dialogue is jarringly unrealistic, but it's also delivered to the hilt. What's more is, I liked the performances and thought director Ivan Passer did a fine job balancing the romance, comedy and heart. I loved seeing Boris, seemingly in spite of himself, and Meli, with no reservations, be thoroughly charmed by Wolper.

"I really mean it, Dr. Wolper. I want us to get married."
"Meli! You still call me 'Dr. Wolper.'"
"So? What's that supposed to mean? When I met you, you were Dr. Wolper and that's the way I got to know you. So don't go making any big goddamn deal out of that, too. If I were sleeping with the king of France, I'd say, 'That was nice sex, Your Highness. Thank you for banging me, Your Majesty.'"
*everyone at Harry's dinner party is enthralled by Meli's frankness*
"Now that's what I call respect, fellas."

There's only one thing about Creator that bugged me. The four leads never really become an ensemble. Three stories end up being told: Wolper and Boris, Boris and Barbara and Wolper and Meli. How nice would it have been for the ladies to compare notes about the men, or Wolper and Barbara (and/or Boris and Meli) to get to know each other better? I have no doubt about everyone's collective camaraderie, I just wish it was better depicted.

O'Toole is excellent opposite Spano and Hemingway, although I think I'll give the younger man the edge. Meli, like the dialogue, can be a bit hard to take* but is ultimately rewarding in the end. Speaking of ends, I didn't expect Boris would be half or barely dressed so often. It kept my attention early on, but Creator wouldn't have mattered if I didn't grow to care about Boris. I loved his friendship with Wolper and I was touched by his feelings for Barbara. The filmmakers earn one of my highest compliments: I cried exactly where they wanted me to.

"You know, Harry. I'm still trying to find the big picture. But ... I just keep missing it because I'm so ... full of love for Barbara that nothing else matters."
"What makes you think that you're missing it?"

Recommended.

Thoughts:
-- "Add up the number of times that you think about the lady each day. Subtract from the total the number of times you think about yourself each day. If the remainder is more lady, and less yourself, then it's love. ... What's so neat about this particular formula is that 'a lot' plugs into it beautifully."
-- Box Office: Grossing $5.3 million on an unknown budget, this opened at No. 2 and came in at No. 113 for 1985.
-- Critic's Corner, the movie: "Ambitious and tries to do a lot of things and does most of them well, but it's a close miss," Roger Ebert wrote. Other critics were less charitable. "Painfully sentimental, and not moving for a minute," according to Vincent Canby. Paul Attanasio wanted to know, "How did a movie this mindlessly saccharine ever get made?"
-- Critic's Corner, O'Toole: "It is the basic performance he seems to be giving this decade -- and, as usual, it works," according to Ebert. Attanasio: "It's sad to see this shell of an actor doddering through another lovable old eccentric role."
-- Fanservice Junction: Spano wins in terms of quantity, while Madsen and Hemingway win in terms of quality.
-- Hey, It's ...!: Elsa Raven, Rance Howard, Ian Wolfe and Byrne Piven.
-- "I hope you'll accept this advice, as the word of a scholar and a lover of truth. ... Whatever you do, Harry, don't use your own money."
-- Next Week: Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters. On deck: Kiss of the Spider Woman, Ran. Coming soon: Agnes of God, The Journey of Natty Gann.

No comments:

Post a Comment