Sunday, October 13, 2019

Totally Tunes: It's All About That Bass!

What's a band without a great bass player? They are the glue that holds it all together and today, we give them a salute!

The bass has a special place in my heart. My mom comes from a very musical family, with everyone playing several instruments. My mom was partial to both the upright bass and the bass guitar. She passed her love on to me.



I'll be focusing on some of my favorite bassists through the years but please share any performances you find inspiring.

John Entwistle - The Who

He was nicknamed "The Ox" and "Thunderfingers" for his playing style. He showcases his immense talent in My Generation.



Sir Paul McCartney - The Beatles, Wings, and Solo 

John Lennon named Come Together his favorite Beatles song because he felt Paul really was spot on with his bass skills and his playing made the record perfect.




Lemmy Kilmister - Motorhead

Lemmy is considered one of the cornerstones of Heavy Metal and he shows us exactly why that honor is given him in Ace Of Spades.




Sting - The Police and Solo

I think everyone fell madly in love with the blonde bassist with the steely gaze. His command of the upright left us all wanting more in Every Breath You Take.




Flea - The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Flea seems to be more a conduit for the wonderful music to flow out to us from the heavens. His playing seems effortless and he is always totally immersed in his craft. He never disappoints and that is so evident in Around The World.





John Deacon - Queen

His bass riffs are some of the most "borrowed" in all of music history. One of those that is always borrowed is Another One Bites The Dust.




Okay, I'll cut myself off at six, but believe me, I could go on and on. Who are your favorite bassists and/or bass performances? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment